Friday 11 April 2008

Underground is Tits!

I really love cartoony zaniness. It has a magic that will never come across in anything other than cartoons or comics. The wacky, funny characters that everyone loves... like Bugs Bunny or Fred Flintstone. Characters that are zany but real in their intentions.

But I also love realism in drawing. In comics, you can merge the two. They can coexist in the same world without a second thought. It works in cartoons too, but is usually done poorly. Roger Rabbit is the best melding of the serious and the zany but many imitators have followed its shadow.

Ralph Bakshi was really key to melding the wacky and the serious. And the underground comic artists of the 60s and 70s. They are so weird, extremely trippy, and "poorly" drawn by industry standards, but they are more real than Spiderman could ever be.

So here's a salute to the real, the zany, THE UNDERGROUND COMICS. I wouldn't be here if it weren't for them. I won't name names, just poke around and discover some treasures you'll love for the rest of your life.
I'm really nervous about using brushes, so the above is one such attempt. BUT I think I'm getting more confidant and less heavy handed (slowly!). I got my first Sable today! Yes, I'm in LOVE!

No comments:

presspermanent@yahoo.com

Thanks for checking it out!

Bookmark Aqui: