Friday 2 January 2009

Mike Mignola Sobers Me Up

I've been really going through it lately. Somewhat near the end, but so far and really wanting to go back and redo pretty much everything I've drawn... I found this sobering quote. It actually makes me feel better knowing that I am doing single issues. I don't care if they sell; this is practice for what I really want to do.

I stole this quote from the first seconds blog, which has all sorts of guest bloggers, including Paul Pope whose inking gives me a boner.

ENJOY!


"There is so much great young talent out there these days, but I'm afraid to work with anybody who hasn't been in the business for ten years, someone who's been mistreated by all the major publishers and has a mortgage and a family to support. What I wouldn't give to be able to insert a work ethic into people. So, don't know what to tell you about that end of stuff.

I CAN pass on something that Frank Miller told me when I was about to start Hellboy--It's as good advice as I've ever gotten on this subject. He said something like "just do it, do the best you can, don't drive yourself crazy, just KNOW that when you look back on it you're going to hate it. It can't be helped. The next one will be better." I don't know if that really helps here. Your problem is that you're dealing with GRAPHIC NOVELS and they are a lot scarier than comics. They're sold in bookstores and are going to be in print for a long time. The beauty to doing comics in the old days was that you did a shitty job, it came out, and then it was gone. Now everything is collected and we have to live with our mistakes--Of course that also means we keep making money (which is good) and when we DO finally do a job we're proud of it stays in print. I wouldn't want the old days back, believe me, but it was easier to learn as you went, knowing that your early work would be forgotten.

For me the only thing that works is having a lot of projects lined up so as you are working on one, and it's not coming out quite as well as you'd hoped, you can always say the next one will be better."

-Mike Mignola
(from the first seconds blog, click here for even more great advice!)

No comments:

presspermanent@yahoo.com

Thanks for checking it out!

Bookmark Aqui: