Friday 29 October 2010

Do You Hear What I Hear?

While I'm not scratchin' off gnarly tunes on the tables, I like to listen to podcasts while I draw.

For no other reason than vanity, here they are!

INDIE SPINNER RACK - Charlito and Mr. Phil have been cranking out podcasts about indie comics for 5 years, and there are so many great lips that have graced their microphones that I wouldn't even know where to start. They have a passion for comics that is rare, even in the world of comics, they are dedicated and really care about what they do and who they do it to. There are fewer podcasts that are this entertaining AND informative. It will teach you how to make a mini, how to self-publish, make a pitch, table at a con or place a phone call to Steve Ditko.

InkStuds - To be honest, I haven't listened to Inkstuds in a while. I got a little burnt out on it (and Robin McConnell's nervous laughter is sometimes unnerving). But, I don't want to sound like a dick, it is a really great show and has interviews with a lot of really amazing people. The show would load every week and I'd just be stunned at the names that showed up each time. Imagine my surprise when Diamanda Galás appeared on the show! Turns out Robin McConnell's taste extends past comics and into the realm of music! Despite the dick things I said about it (I'm just trying to be honest!), you should check it out. If nothing else, find your favorite artist and hear an interview with them... they're probably on here!

The Naked Scientist - I don't know why all these British things are "naked" but this show is awesome! Write in with your wacky science questions, and every week they have an experiment you can try at home. This show is super informative, getting just technical enough to educate the layperson but they don't dumb it down so much that you don't learn anything. They cover almost every type of science... I think there is a naked astronomer show... but I haven't gone there yet. True nerds ONLY!

Comic Book Queers - These guys talk a lot about mainstream comics that I'm not too into, but it's entertaining when they do and they really nerd out. You can tell they're really close friends, so they rib each other a lot. About half the airtime is spent on tv shows that I've never even heard of/or could care less about and get REALLY into it... I usually zone out during this part, but if you're a nerdy, gay, tv-watcher it might be right up your alley!

Ye Olde Metal Shoppe - The one gripe I have with this show is that it sometimes has ads. Uh, actually I have another, but it isn't really about the show per se, it's that the sound quality is pretty poor for podcasts, so any music podcast is going to sound like shit. This show is always great, it never gets into mainstream territory and always has a theme (a certain genre, band, movement or style) and you can hear old chestnuts and discover new (well, old) bands that you've never heard of. It's about 2 hours every week, perfect for getting your energy up and into your work!

RadioLab - I almost didn't put this on here because I figured everyone would know it by now. On the off chance you haven't, listen to it now! It is the best radio show of all time, combining the story-telling traditions of classic radio drama with science and incredible stories. It's made me laugh, it's made me cry, it's made me literally stand with my mouth agape in disbelief.

BEING - This show was called "Speaking of Faith." It used to be on when I would come into work in the morning and I never listened to it. I didn't want to hear some show about religion. It turns out that it's one of the most fascinating radio shows being produced right now. Krista Tippett interviews tons of fascinating people doing extraordinary things and the show is so honest and hopeful it is hard to listen to it and not be inspired.

hmmm... I know there's more but that's probably enough for now!

No comments:

presspermanent@yahoo.com

Thanks for checking it out!

Bookmark Aqui: